Samstag, 27. Oktober 2012

That was 2012!



Before the preparation for the season 2013 starts officially with the kick-off of the Gigathlon course presentation next Tuesday, it´s time for a proper end of season post. In short, this was not the best season I´ve ever had. Or was it?

To be honest, the season 2012 was a gap year for me. A restart after my half year triathlon break during my exchange in Sweden in autumn/winter 2011. A year, where I had to focus on the finalization of my Bachelor´s thesis and degree as well as starting my internship rather than on sports.
First I had to get fit again. In January, I was not even able to run 30mins without breaks if it was not completely flat like in Sweden. I felt like a beginner. I change my food plan, I started daily training again. My motivation was the Gigathlon 2012, which was more like a test for the one 2013, and my big season´s goal, Ironman Wales. The first improvements happened fast, until spring I lost my overweight and I also run a new PB over 10k. Most of my races were successful: I was able to defend my age group win at TriStar111 Germany. I finished the probably hardest weekend Gigathlon confidently. In early August, I did my best result ever at a olympic distance triathlon. Improvements in both my biking and running were obvious. Not only during racing but also in training. I felt as strong as never before flying to Wales for my big day, Ironman Wales. I hoped for the Hawaii qualification. In the end, I ended up second, missing the quali by a few minutes. However, considering the cirumstances of my limited health on that day, my performance was strong as well. I finally improved my swimming and I also ran a new PB on a very hilly marathon.

Summarizing, how was my season? For being a gap year, it was just great. I had been afraid to be slower than last year but instead I was able to improve in all disciplines. Especially my performance on Gigathlon was steadier than before. On the other side, I was not able to fulfill all my own (maybe sometimes too high) expectations. But without dreams, you never reach your full potential!

I am happy with my season. Actually, I just realized that I never had a real bummer season where everything just blow up. I am always able to show a steady and good performance. I think that´s something one can be proud of.

Finally, after this gap season, the year 2013 is here. I can´t believe how fast the time flew. Since 2007 I dream of the one-week Gigathlon 2013, where I want to start as a single woman. And now it´s finally here, knocking at my door to get out training!

Am I really ready for it?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen