Dienstag, 30. Oktober 2012

Gigathlon 2013: It´s on!


Today was the official kick-off of Gigathlon 2013 with a media conference where the new course was presented. Next year´s Gigathlon will be only 6 days, not 7 as I expected. That´s a pity in my eyes, but it increases my chances for a finish. Otherwise, I like the course. There are a few transfers by ship or cable car which gives also single athletes some time to chat and enjoy. :)

The start is in Chur. The first day is in the mountains with a run up to 2860 meters above sea level. The second day is from Chur to Ennetbürgen (at Lake of Lucerne). Day 3 is the longest and hardest day. Forth day goes from Ennetbürgen to Berne. Day 5 is a "city-gigathlon" in the area around Berne to recover a little bit before the final day which brings us down to Lausanne. In total, 1057 kilometers with 18´600 meters of altitute difference need to be completed. Less than in previous years, but still enough. Never underestimate a Gigathlon, that´s something everyone should have learnt from the 2012 one! Around 8000 athletes will be participating, alone, in couples or teams of 5 to 15 members. In addition, a few thousands volunteers and supporters are part of the journey through Switzerland coming through 12 cantons. It will be massive and super awesome!

Looking at the maps and course details, I believe that I will be able to handle it. I think, I will be ready in July. I waited long 6 years since the last one-week Gigathlon and now I will risk it!

Next challenge is to secure one of only 150 spots for single athletes next Tuesday. The rest is reserved for couples and teams. As the moment of registration opening is not known exactly, I won´t be sleeping much that night for sure!

All details on: www.gigathlon.ch


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen